[Noisebridge-discuss] Just say no to SOPA

Michael Shields shields at msrl.com
Mon Jan 16 05:44:30 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Wladyslaw Zbikowski
<embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I may join the SOPA-boxing for a moment: Congress will never be
> able to resist the effects of monied interests until there is campaign
> finance reform.

SOPA is not just about the richest interests getting their way.
Hollywood isn't half as rich as the businesses that profit from an
open Internet, but they are much more organized politically.

Campaign finance reform is a worthy goal, but it is neither necessary
nor sufficient for ending the idea that copyright infringement is
economically harmful.  It's a different fight.