[Noisebridge-discuss] Just say no to SOPA

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 19:10:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Michael Shields <shields at msrl.com> wrote:
> SOPA is not just about the richest interests getting their way.

That's correct; it's not that the rich get their way: it's that the
agenda in Congress is determined by alternately playing for then
against the rich, all to secure more funding. Bone up on Lessig's
recent work such as "Republic, Lost" if you are interested.

> Hollywood isn't half as rich as the businesses that profit from an
> open Internet, but they are much more organized politically.

Yes, that's exactly the point; currently policy is decided by
competing monied interests fighting it out over control of Congress.
If the only way we can stop SOPA find our own rich, manipulative
backers, what have we proven? That the system is even more
fundamentally corrupt.

> Campaign finance reform is a worthy goal, but it is neither necessary

Every other fight is a band-aid on cancer.