[Noisebridge-discuss] Just say no to SOPA

Bill Pollock bill at nostarch.com
Mon Jan 16 18:04:30 UTC 2012

You raise an interesting point. My father manufactured wedding gowns. I
worked in the factory for about three years.

Designs were derivative throughout the industry then and they still are. We
used to go to fashion shows and I was stunned to see various  women
standing outside the showrooms and blatantly drawing the designs. Asian
manufacturers would knock off the designs as quickly as they could.

We didn't spend an ounce of effort fighting the knockoffs and the business
grew every year. The knockoffs weren't the problem; they were a drop in the
bucket. The bigger problem was large resellers like J C Penney. They were
our largest account and they'd just jerk us around.

Bill