[Noisebridge-discuss] Just say no to SOPA

Michael Shields shields at msrl.com
Mon Jan 16 21:59:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Wladyslaw Zbikowski
<embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Campaign finance reform is a worthy goal, but it is neither necessary

Please be careful with your quoting.  When you quote half a sentence,
it looks like I said something I did not.

I actually said:

>> Campaign finance reform is a worthy goal, but it is neither necessary
>> nor sufficient for ending the idea that copyright infringement is
>> economically harmful.

As you probably know, "necessary and sufficient" are terms of art from
formal logic.  What I am saying here is that we can defeat SOPA and
the SOPA-clones that will surely follow without having campaign
finance reform.  We could also get campaign finance reform and still
have a SOPA-like battle in the future, although it would take a
different form.

If you want to fight for an open Internet, fight for an open Internet.
 And if you want to fight for campaign finance reform, do that too.
But it is not a waste of time to fight for one without the other.

> Every other fight is a band-aid on cancer.

If you have lung cancer and pneumonia, they're still going to treat
the pneumonia.