[Noisebridge-discuss] Thiel grant ideas

Christoph Maier cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 15:20:44 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Carl <carl at icarp.info> wrote:

> I like the idea of taking this $10K grant and doing something neat with
> it.
>
> How about a contest?  We could ask Noisebridgers' to submit 1-2 page
> proposals for projects to work on, then ask the community to vote on the
> best project.

As much as I love the idea of Peter Thiel's representative trying to
throw money at noisebridge,
I would absolutely HATE a spirit of competing for resources getting
introduced to noisebridge.

So I would propose to put together a list of need-to-have and
nice-to-have laboratory equipment
which is useful for a long time and for many projects that $10k could buy,
instead of getting lured into the competitiveness-is-a-virtue-in-itself mindset.

Greetings from Gert's Gulch in Telluride,
Christoph