[Noisebridge-discuss] Thiel grant ideas

Carl carl at icarp.info
Tue Jul 10 08:45:27 UTC 2012

Well I was thinking more along the lines of proposals that would include
the rest of the community to participate in, rather than pitting people
against each other.

Say for example someone had an idea to build a robot.  They'd need some
funds to build the robot.  Anyone who wanted to could participate in
building it, and it would be used here.  How about a robot that gives
tours to newcomers?

Perhaps the project could be building infrastructure for the space.

Or how about an open-source software project useful to the community?

Rather than just buying laboratory equipment that may or may not be
used, sitting on the shelves gathering dust, how about a specific
project that could use equipment that we currently don't have.  Then
even if the project succeeds or not, we'll still have the equipment for
anyone else to use.

Also, not all projects may need $10K.  Perhaps we can fund more than
one, or split it between projects and general equipment.

-Carl