[Noisebridge-discuss] Drill Press

Chris Murphy chrisnoisebridge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 21:37:05 UTC 2012

Our drill press needs some TLC.

The chuck socket fell off the arbor last night. The chuck was  spinning eccentrically just prior. I followed directions on the URL below to reinstall it. I discovered the arbor has been badly scored. I can't figure out how the arbor comes out of the drill press. I didn't attempt to force it out or anything. I just looked at a blurry parts diagram below and did a google search...no luck.

I de-burred the arbor with a fine file and cleaned it with steel wool and acetone. Put the chuck on with a twist and thwack of a wood insulated hammer blow. All of this with the chuck jaws wide open. It spins much more centered but it's not as good as it was just last week.

It's a Ryobi WDP1850:

http://www.machinistblog.com/installing-a-drill-press-chuck/

http://www.odref.com/pdf/Ryobi-Power-Tools/wdp1850.pdf

http://www.nburl.net/drillpress