[Noisebridge-discuss] About the missing robotic arm on wheel chair robot

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon Jun 11 23:39:00 UTC 2012

The robot already has a safety mechanism.  You can't get it to move
without a login and some knowledge of how the scripts work.  The incident
with the robot crashing into the bikes was when a certain person (who is a
member of noisebridge) was entrusted with that access and handed the
controls over to some kids, unsupervised.  These were the same kids who,
one of which at least, would entertain himself by cutting the wires off of
things in the hack shelves and crushing cellphones in the vise in the
shop, or sawing cellular phones in half... who knows what else.

Anyway, if you want to supply a giant red button, i'll wire it in.

-jake

Martin Bogomolni wrote:
As a safety-third advocate, I still concur that a nice large e-stop
button would be a very, very, very good idea on the wheelchair bot.

( ... and I'm someone that likes to build machines that throw 2x4's
into things )

-M

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Gopiballava Flaherty
<gopiballava at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2012, at 17:07, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>
>> Some people thought it was too unweildy
>
> Unwieldy would be one way to describe it. Dangerous would be a more
accurate way.

> The last time I saw the robot in use, it was randomly crashing in to
bikes and had no functional emergency stop mechanism. It was quite
challenging to stop it.

> The motors are high torque and fast. Without the arm, the robot is
pretty dangerous. With it, it is potentially lethal.

> I would encourage you to consider safety first and figure out how to
properly control and stop the robot before you make it even more
dangerous.