[Noisebridge-discuss] SIMS card to CDMA

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 08:02:07 UTC 2012

A SIM card is a way for a cellphone to prove to the network that it's really authorized to use your account. Old phones used to send a simple ID number that was trivial to spoof.

SIM cards were first commonly used in GSM phones. However, they are not limited to GSM phones. The Verizon iPad uses a SIM card as well, using CDMA. I doubt that Boost is replacing their CDMA network with GSM. They are probably just switching to newer standards for CDMA.

There are many phones still out there with removable batteries. I am sure you can find one. I don't think that removing the battery is going to improve privacy. It's really easy to check if a phone is emitting a signal when it should be off. Leaving phones transmitting when off would drain the battery and would leave them transmitting on airplanes. Now, if you directly are targeted, who knows what they'll do. But all models of a phone won't be doing that.

I don't think that from a trackability perspective that any current phone protocol is going to be much different. The phone company knows where you are and will turn that over to the government immediately. Other people will not be able to monitor you very easily regardless of phone protocol.

Thanks,

gopi at iPad