[Noisebridge-discuss] Anti-sleepers / Livers at Noisebridge

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Tue Oct 2 21:49:03 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> It's true that waking someone up and asking them to leave can be difficult
> if it's just you.  That's why I always rally two or more people to join me
> before approaching a sleeper.  Waking up to find three people looking at you
> tends to work very well in precluding any argument.
>
> It's much much easier to rally a couple of people to help you before you
> wake the person up than after.  And realistically, if you can't rally at
> least one person to join you, it is understandable if you don't try to wake
> the person up.  If you can photograph them without a flash that might be
> helpful, and post to the list about finding them, but nobody expects you to
> be able to get them out by yourself.

Yes, I agree with this. If anyone wants help (or wants to help) with
this, they can check out (put their name down) here
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Mediation

I'm not often in the space late at night, but I don't mind people
calling me up if they want some backup from a  vaguely authoritative
yet reasonable sounding voice on a phone who can explain how
Noisebridge works, and then turn up within 30 minutes for a veeery
boring mediation discussion that is usually less fun than either
successfully being threatening to one person and then going back to
sleep, or escalating.

Mail me if you want my phone number. The 311 number got disabled
because it wasn't really working, but we can talk about making it
better at the meeting tonight.

In general, we could do with a few more people stepping up -- we're
going through our regular cycle of
not-really-burned-out-but-perhaps-slightly-toasted regulars, and
there's enough new cool people around for them to magically develop
Powers of Apparent Do-Acratic Authority.

d.