[Noisebridge-discuss] no actual theftiness and not from the donation bins

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Oct 9 00:07:08 UTC 2012

Actually, there has been theft.  Maybe not of the donations bins (i
disagree that presence of proper collection precludes the possibility that
people are sticking their hands into an unmonitored unlocked box of cash
by the door) but of laptops.

Laptops have been disappearing from the member shelves and elsewhere.

Everyone knows about the lasercutter laptop that was stolen by some
tweaker.  Not everyone realizes that the CNC machine laptop has been
stolen THREE TIMES.

The first one was the one we took to toorcamp - it had been donated by
Carlos just before toorcamp.  It was stolen a few weeks after toorcamp, i
believe.

Then I gave Hao another laptop to use as the CNC laptop, and he put it on
his member shelf.  Before he got it set up and running, I gave him another
laptop to use as CNC machine (to use whichever worked better) but then
both were stolen, from his shelf.

That, coupled with the disappearance of a lot of valuable and useful
materials from the hack shelves, is plenty of proof to me that theft is
happening.

-jake

Danny / O'Brien wrote:
Oh, as you were then. I checked the black bin, and it was in there. Mea
culpa.

No-one will, of course, remember this email when they tell each other
enthusiastically how money is going from the bins.

Anyway, all my other points are EXCELLENT, and we should probably be more
organized about this. I will defer doing anything about this until
somebody harasses me though.

d.