[Noisebridge-discuss] New Android app: Noisegate

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 16:01:09 UTC 2012

We do have undesired, even banned users, who have smartphones. I personally
don't think 'has an android' is a meaningful bar of entry.  My preference
would be a more platform-agnostic tool - for example, some kind of sms
authentication.

I think it's interesting that, at the same time that jake (with much
community backing and momentum) is talking about further restricting gate
access, based on actual identity, josh has created a way for anyone to come
in without any authentication at all.  We already had this, sort of, with
physical keys.  The difference now is that it comes with a handy built-in
economic and technological barrier, and without the meatspace
authentication process of having to be given a physical key.

Additionally, I have an issue with the ability to easily buzz the door
remotely. I think access to our physical space should be linked to presence
at the physical space.

Sounds less than excellent to me.

R.