[Noisebridge-discuss] Use of Nitrous Oxide in the space on Sunday night

zephyr q zv at offblast.org
Thu Oct 11 17:01:12 UTC 2012

As far as allegations of no hacking, I'm afraid that's just not true:
We implemented the Rho and Pi steps of the brand new SHA3 standard
algorithm "Keccak" inside the RAR archiver's internal virtual machine
(Similar to x86) while under the influence. Check it out --
https://github.com/zv/SHA3ImplementedInsideofaRARfile/blob/master/keccak.rs

It's worth noting that the materials used to consume laughing gas were
actually already available at Noisebridge, and in fact the Whippit
administration canister is plastered with Noisebridge logos from
previous misadventures. This is not a new phenomenon.

I would also like to see the legal opinion on this, as this is what I
turned up http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/381c.html . Which
indicates to me that, actually, in fact, the recreational NO2 usage is
entirely legal in the State of California, in fact, I believe it would
be "more legal" than the alcohol at the space. I would like to hear
about it from someone who is actually a lawyer.

For the record, nobody was harmed and as far as I know, absolutely
nothing remotely resembling an altercation occurred as a result of
this. (This is a straw man, but food for thought anyway -- can we say
the same of alcohol?)

That considered, if it made you feel uncomfortable Zach, it made you
feel uncomfortable. If there's something you do not want to see in the
space, I think it's good to have a discussion about it.  I hope in the
future should something like this happen, you should consider *who*
you are bringing it up with. There's obviously quite a bit of
variability between any two given members in terms of their respect
for others. I heard about it second hand, but the person you brought
it up with is an (internationally) renowned misanthrope. I would like
to think we could have come to a compromise if you'd asked me. I hope
you know that in the future that, at least I will take what you have
to say seriously.

Keep hacking!