[Noisebridge-discuss] Use of Nitrous Oxide in the space on Sunday night

Edward Azi Cragg azimandias at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 22:30:31 UTC 2012

There is absolutely nothing new about N2O being used at Noisebridge.

The appeal to legality is a joke, as Noisebridge lacks a liquor license,
thus any serving of alcohol is strictly verboten. If the illicit serving of
mind-altering substances is your problem, the bias towards complaining of
one kind of illegal substance provision over another is telling.

Zach,

I think you may be surprised at the amount of so-called recreational (I
would say cultural) substance used by people you know and respect there,
who have simply become really damn good at hiding it out of raw survival
instinct.  Im talking about people who are productive and who bring cool
projects, organizations and energies to the space.  Noisebridge is what it
is because largely because it prides itself on being a safe 'mind your own
business' environment, which allows individuals who face active
state-sponsored persecution elsewhere a place where they can come,
socialize, learn and teach, and not be stigmatized as long as they keep
their behavior reasonable.  A place where people are judged by the contents
of their character and the portfolio of cool shit they've manifested,
rather than the contents of their medicine cabinet, so to speak.

This isn't to say that everyone at NB uses, just that I think there is some
pride that NB is a safe space for everyone who behaves excellently, whether
or not they use 'bad' drugs.

I also do think there is something to be said for asking if the sewing area
is the best place to engage in such activity.  At the very least, there are
many more intimate sub-spaces I could think of which would not have quite
the same entry-door-eye-shot liabilities.

But I would hope you may take from this not that Noisebridge isn't the
space you thought it was, but instead perhaps that your ingrained
perception that certain behaviors automatically denote bad individuals is
not as accurate as you may have once thought.

Not to sound condescending if this is not news to you, It's just the vibe
I've gotten off from your honest surprise at how we might be inclined to
come to the defense of the users.  If I'm being a condescending prick,
please ignore me and have a great day!

-Azi