[Noisebridge-discuss] thefts at noisebridge / access policy

Liz Henry liz at bookmaniac.org
Fri Oct 19 05:33:57 UTC 2012

One of the awesome things about the space is meeting people who just
come in from out of town, are here for conferences or as tourists, and
who drop by because we have such a low barrier to entry. I would hate to
lose that aspect of Noisebridge.

I think painting and labeling tools might help this.  In past large
co-ops I lived in, we would paint even things like hammers and
screwdrivers in horrible day-glo colors and label them with the co-op
name and address. While that didn't make them unstealable, it made it
less easy to forget their origin when people borrowed them, and it also
made them less saleable.   Some attrition on useful or valuable items
was expected and inevitable.

Theft isn't as predictable as to who would take things as you might
think.   So, only letting in people we know may close off a lot of good
results, while not actually stopping theft.  Oh, and I have a day-glo
green hammer from 20 years ago that someday I really should return to a
certain co-op...

Drills, dremels, etc are harder to replace than hammers of course.

I hope that if we tighten up door access, it can be temporary.

I think the social engineering group is reconvening soon and might work
on the door code system!

- Liz