[Noisebridge-discuss] thefts at noisebridge / access policy

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Fri Oct 19 06:13:05 UTC 2012

I'd hate to say it, but I have just adopted a, "This is why we can't have
nice things, and I am OK with that" Policy at noisebridge.

There is just nothing that can be done at Noisebridge that will change this
that will not drastically change the culture.

So, what I recommend is, guard your stuff, take it home, and don't bring
quality items to leave at noisebridge.

If we just have crap tools at noisebridge...not broken, but cheap, there
will be less theft and it won't be so hard to recover after something goes
missing.

One serious note, yeah, we have a lock picking class, and people often use
this to discourage locking anything...but maybe it's time to start locking
things.  I don't care how hard it is...or how trivial it is...to unlock
something, but at least it removes, with out a doubt, that something is not
meant to be share.  Lockers at noisebridge wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Also, lets revisit the tote idea instead of shelf idea.  I think that would
be a better barrier to theft and mess/disorganization and make the "member
shelves" more useful for more people.