[Noisebridge-discuss] Closing the space/Being excellent

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 06:06:57 UTC 2012

It's not about me being kicked out.

It's about nobody asking the question, "Who are we kicking out?" with any honesty.

Yes,
 I've listened to a number of members discussing who should and
shouldn't be allowed in. They weren't discussing individuals; they were
discussing populations. Entire groups of people being lumped together, as if there are no variations or differences within those groups.

Homeless people are discussed as if every single homeless person is a thief, drug user, defecating in corners, and panhandling.

People
 with mental illness are demonized, as if there were no spectrum of
mental illness or differing conditions, as if even a diagnosis of mild
depression denotes a propensity for mindless violence against people and
 property.

With these types of all-or-nothing attitudes, I'm surprised differently-abled
 people are allowed in the space.

What's truly amazing is that
the people talking this way not only do so loudly enough to be heard by
most of the people in the space, but also never see the incongruity of
doing so under a sign that reads "Be excellent to each other."

- Reverend Mik
YMMV - a postscript that assures the world that the poster has no intention of considering any refutation.