[Noisebridge-discuss] thefts at noisebridge / access policy

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Oct 22 10:21:50 UTC 2012

Rigel Christian writes:

> did this policy come after the move from 83c?
>
> because as i recall, if you had a key, member or not, you could use
> the space. there were plenty of people from out of town who came and
> just hung out more or less indefinitely at that time.

I think the confusion has to do with the fact that members were a subset
of keyholders.  I think Ben's recollection matches mine (and perhaps
also yours) except that I would have written "keyholder" where Ben wrote
"member".

At 83C, typically every new member was given a key upon being made a
member, but also some members had a practice of giving keys to
nonmembers.  It was a common practice for non-keyholders to have to
leave.  I'm now thinking that this was because there was a deadbolt
that needed to be locked with a key (and so could only be locked by
a keyholder), not necessarily because non-keyholders were less trusted
(though the latter could also have been some people's intuition).

At 83C the door would be physically opened from inside when someone rang
the doorbell.  My recollection is that if the person opening the door
didn't recognize the visitor, they would generally have a conversation
about the nature of the visitor's interest in Noisebridge.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>      |  No haiku patents
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/        |  means I've no incentive to