[Noisebridge-discuss] Two working surveillance cameras, but no functional doorbell?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Thu Oct 25 10:09:37 UTC 2012

Jake wrote, On 2012-10-25 02:46:
> Danny and Josh have been working on better access control, so that
> people can no longer buzz the door open anonymously and thus let random
> strangers in all the time, to poop all over the place, like you just did
> to this list.

It's taken us 4 years to go from a space that welcomes anonymity to a
state of preferring surveillance and control over simply saying hello
and promoting the notion of responsibility over whom you let in.

> You on the other hand, didn't even come to the meeting, to hear about
> the fact that the doorbell is broken and that people are going to need
> to fix that, but that it's a low priority because the only people
> affected by it are people who are not as likely to improve the space.

I found out about the broken doorbell through someone coming from a
class in one of the classrooms stating none of the students are able to
get in because no one was buzzing them in. All this while a couple kids
seated next to me were discussing their plans to spend another night in
the space, of whom left the space and were able to re-enter about 30
minutes later.

Jake, unless we're standing guard at the gate 24/7, neither of us knows
exactly who's being let in and kept out, why and how.

Again I can't stress this more, technical solution don't work for
fundamentally social problems. Jake, you're welcome to throw mud at me
and call me a hypocrite, I'm simply here to point out how much down the
hole we've sunk and am pointing my finger at those of us who've been
here since the beginning and have simply given up on the space.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net