[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Notice of Paypal Policy Updates

Alexandra Glowaski alex.glowaski at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 21:01:52 UTC 2012

I recommend reading the whole update. Their email doesn't mention the
section "Limitations of Liability":

Section 15.1 is being amended to add that in addition to the limitations
already stated under that provision, to the extent permitted by applicable
law, PayPal is not liable, and *you agree not to hold PayPal responsible
for any damages or losses (including, but not limited to, loss of money,
goodwill, or reputation, profits, or other intangible losses or any
special, indirect, or consequential damages) resulting directly or
indirectly from:* (1) Your use of or your inability to use PayPal’s sites
and services; (2) delays or disruptions in PayPal’s sites and services; (3)
viruses or other malicious software obtained by accessing PayPal’s sites or
services or any site or service linked to PayPal’s sites or services; *(4)
glitches, bugs, errors, or inaccuracies of any kind in PayPal’s sites or
services *or in the information and graphics obtained from them; (5) the
content, actions, or inactions of third parties; (6) a suspension or *other
action taken with respect to your Account;* (7) your need to modify
practices, content, or behavior, or your loss of or inability to do
business, as a result of changes to this User Agreement or PayPal’s
policies.
[Bolding mine.]

Certainly something to consider.

- merlin

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM, rachel lyra hospodar
<rachelyra at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey Noisebridge,
>
> Check out this policy update I just got from Paypal.  We already know they
> are nefarious, of course, but this is some gnarly kind of way to behave.
>  Do we still use them for processing payments? Do we want to keep doing
> that in light of their overall track record as well as this recent
> information?
>
> R.
>

>         View online
> <https://email-edg.paypal.com/**r/EKXJE0M/AQ3I9/409D1MW/**
> C584VA/M8QWM/85/h?a=EKXJE0M&b=**DFHI2&c=I9XDHYR&d=LQOH531&e=1<https://email-edg.paypal.com/r/EKXJE0M/AQ3I9/409D1MW/C584VA/M8QWM/85/h?a=EKXJE0M&b=DFHI2&c=I9XDHYR&d=LQOH531&e=1>>
>

> PayPal
>
> Notice of Policy Updates
>
> Dear Rachel [User],
> PayPal recently posted a new Policy Update which includes changes to the
> PayPal User Agreement. *The update to the User Agreement is effective
> November 1, 2012 and contains several changes, including changes that
> affect how claims you and PayPal have against each other are resolved.
> You will, with limited exception, be required to submit claims you have
> against PayPal to binding and final arbitration, unless you opt out of
> the Agreement to Arbitrate (Section 14.3) by December 1, 2012. _Unless
> you opt out: (1) you will only be permitted to pursue claims against
> PayPal on an individual basis, not as a plaintiff or class member in any
> class or representative action or proceeding and (2) you will only be
> permitted to seek relief (including monetary, injunctive, and
> declaratory relief) on an individual basis._*
>
> You can view this Policy Update by logging in to your PayPal account. To
> log in to your account, go to https://www.paypal.com and enter your
> member log in information. Once you are logged in, look at the
> Notifications section on the top right side of the page for the latest
> Policy Updates. *We encourage you to review the Policy Update to
> familiarize yourself with all of the changes that have been made.*
>
> If you need help logging in, go to our Help Center by clicking the Help
> link located in the upper right-hand corner of any PayPal page.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> PayPal
>

>         Please do not reply to this email. We are unable to respond to
> inquiries sent to this address. For immediate answers to your questions,
> visit our Help Center by clicking "Help" located on any PayPal page or
> email.
>
> Copyright © 2012 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at
> 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

Make your world!
www.alexglow.com