[Noisebridge-discuss] LED hacking

Robert Atkins ratkins at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 19 19:34:00 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I've got some interesting (by which I mean cheap) fully addressable LED strips I intend to build into a wearable display as a Burning Man project. Problem is, nobody knows the protocol the driver chips use. There is no datasheet (Chinese manufacturer won't release it.)

I do have one of the prebuilt controllers however. Is there anyone out there with a Bus Pirate and/or logic analyser and mad reverse engineering skillz who is interested in a challenge? You will have the eternal gratitude of me and a bunch of other LED artist-hackers worldwide who would love to get these things to work on an Arduino.

All the information we have so far is in this thread: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=74566.0

And if anyone's interested in LED art projects in general, I've also recently created this Google group and everyone's welcome to join: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/led-nerds

Cheers, Robert.