[Noisebridge-discuss] Drill Press issues

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Fri Sep 21 15:24:22 UTC 2012

* Liz Henry <liz at bookmaniac.org> [120919 16:00]:
> Yes, there are holes for three screws. I only found one of the 3.  Some
> of the other controls were about to fall out so Susan and I tightened
> them up in general.

I came by last night and replaced the other two screws [1]. The speed
can be adjusted across the full range now, but I agree that the head
probably needs to be taken apart and serviced. There seems to be a
resonance around 1800-2400 rpm, and some roughness in the speeds
below that as well. Not sure if the V-pulleys of the variable-speed
transmission need to be re-surfaced, or if it's just a simple matter
of tightening up some of the internals. I wanted to take it apart
last night but couldn't stick around too long, will try to make it in
soon-ish to take a closer look. If anyone mechanically inclined wants
to dive into this, please contact me as I'd like to be a part of the
maintenance process.

[1] Three screws attach the speed adjustment mechanism to the top
shell of the head. These are metric flathead screws, size M6-1.0x10mm.
Couldn't find that exact screw, but we did have some M6-1.0x10mm
socket head cap screws (SHCS) in the part organizer drawers against
the wall to the right of the drill press. The heads of these screws
don't sit as flush as the flathead screws, but it shouldn't make much
of a difference as they still clear the crank arm when it's all the
way down (there were some M6-1.0x15mm flathead screws in the part
drawers, but I was concerned about them protruding 5mm further into
the mechanism).

John

--
John Magolske