[Noisebridge-discuss] RFID help needed for biohacking project!

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon Feb 18 07:17:45 UTC 2013

since an RFID device can contain a computer inside, with the ability to
crunch computations, it is possible and common for them to use encryption.

the earliest RFID tags like the Mobil Speedpass and many others have been
hacked, because it's hard to make good encryption and they didn't.

http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/staff/bios/ajuels/publications/pdfs/DSTbreak.pdf

Then more recently, the RFID technology made by NXP and used in the MiFare
cards was shown to have vulnerabilities too:

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~mgv98/MIFARE_files/report.pdf

it is possible that the technology your school uses for RFID in the
student IDs doesn't even use cryptography, or that it does but you can
crack it.  But even if it uses one of the above technologies which is
already broken, you have to be pretty good to even understand and
implement what they have published, and then create a hardware example
that can fit inside your hand.

I think your first step is to figure out what kind of RFID technology is
used in your card and learn more about it.  For example, you need to know
what frequency your card and readers operate on.

If the frequency is 125KHz, i think the smallest you can make a tag is the
size of a quarter.  This frequency is likely what they use if your student
ID is a normally shaped card.

If the frequency is 13.56 MHz i think you could find tags you can fit in
your hand, already manufactured in a glass envelope for that purpose.

If your goal is just to be able to get the doors open with your hand
though, you should probably just extract the electronics from your student
ID and put them in your hand.

-jake

effigy wrote:
Hello.

I'm hoping to get in touch with someone who knows a bit about reading and
writing RFID chips, or who has access to a scanner... And who might be
excited about helping out with a my first grinder experiment.

Basically my project is this: I want to copy and duplicate the microchip
in my student ID card. I'm going to encase the duplicated chip in silicone
and implant it in my hand, allowing me to unlock doors with a wave instead
of getting my wallet out. This is a trial-run, and will be removed after
graduation. I want to understand the healing process and the experience
before I embark on designing a more permanent interface.

The surgery will be done by Samppa VonCyborg, who is a world-class body
mod expert. I only have a few weeks to get everything together before he
comes through town. My university will not help me to copy the chip due to
(understandable) security concerns. So I'm reaching out to Noisebridge in
hopes that someone can at least point me in the right direction!

Thanksss
Dylan