[Noisebridge-discuss] Ryan coming to meeting

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Feb 19 22:41:42 UTC 2013

tl;dr  Ryan sleeps at noisebridge and refuses to leave when asked by a
member until like five people surround him for 15 minutes and then he goes
outside until they leave.

I have been there when Ryan has been there a few times, including last
night.

One of the times when Ryan was sleeping at the space, I woke him up and
told him that noisebridge is not an okay place for sleeping and that he
should go somewhere else to do that.  He said he was reading some book and
didn't mean to sleep, and I went away.  A few minutes later he was asleep
again, and it was after midnight, so I went over there with two other
people and we woke him up and told him that since he was clearly tired, he
should go somewhere else.  He insisted that he was trying to get work done
and wasn't tired, but I told him that, as a member, I was asking him to
leave for the night.

It took a LONG time for the three of us to convince him that he had to
leave.  He kept insisting that he was just trying to get work done, and
that his computers (two 1U computers and an old Dell Inspiron) could not
be safely left unattended at noisebridge and that he had nowhere to take
them.  I told him he could leave the computers where they were or take
them with him, but he had to go.  He didn't want to and tried to wear us
out.  We stayed with him for a long time until he finally left.

I have witnessed him do the same thing to mitch the other night.  He just
repeats that he's not sleeping and that he can't leave his computers and
he doesn't have anywhere to take them.  It's very frustrating because I
feel strongly that if people are sleeping at noisebridge they have to
leave and go sleep somewhere else.  When someone basically refuses, it's a
serious problem.

Mitch made him leave last monday, and it took a really long time.  He was
told to come to a meeting about it but I can find no record of the last
meeting and Tom says he never showed up, but Robert Benson says he showed
up but left before the meeting (which started late).  Neither I nor Mitch
made it to the meeting last time.

At this point it seems Mitch doesn't want Ryan to come to noisebridge
anymore.  I feel that this is justified because Ryan sleeps at the space
(probably a lot more often than I've caught him) and refuses to
acknowledge that it's a problem.  So I don't want him coming anymore
either.

I don't know of any members who want to extend hospitality to him, and I
know that myself, Mitch, and Miloh (who had a similar experience making
him leave after sleeping) all think that he should take his precious
computers out of the space so he can stop using them as an excuse to come
to noisebridge.

his computers are currently piled up in the server room with a note on
them.

-jake

Mitch wrote:
Hi Tom, I was just looking at the Next_meeting page on the wiki, and
couldn't find a place to add an agenda item.  I'd like have an agenda item
for discussion with Ryan at the meeting.  Could you please add this to the
agenda? Ryan was here tonight.  He said he was at the meeting last week,
but left early.  I asked him why he came without discussing matters at the
meeting first.  He argued in a raised, excited voice.  After some
non-useful back-and-forth, I lost it.  I told him he had to leave.  After
much ado, he left.  Leif and others who will be at the meeting were
present for this unfortunate occurrence. It seems to me that Ryan doesn't
belong at Noisebridge.  He does do something with servers here, which may
be some sort of hacking.  He also sleeps here.  And he lies when
confronted with this.  He's also agro about his sense of entitlement about
being at Noisebridge.  If others at he meeting think he belongs at
Noisebridge, then I would find that unfortunate, but this is up to people
at the meeting.  And, unfortunately, I can't be there tomorrow night.
Ryan said he would be at the meeting. Best,Mitch.