[Noisebridge-discuss] Electronics Question

Daniel Pitts Daniel at coloraura.com
Thu Jan 10 23:11:54 UTC 2013

Here is the PDIP version of the chip used as the core of the Arduino:
$2.26 each (plus $8 shipping). You can get 50 of them for just over $100.

https://avnetexpress.avnet.com/store/em/EMController/Microcontroller/Atmel/ATMEGA328P-PU/_/R-8253714/A-8253714/An-0?action=part

What you *don't* get with that, which Arduino provides, is the USB
connectivity. You'd have to make your own programmer basically, and you
can't use the build in Serial class.  I used an Arduino Nano as the base
to create my own programmer, and it works fairly well.