[Noisebridge-discuss] door

John Withers jwithers at reddagger.org
Thu Jan 17 23:27:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-17 at 13:57 -0800, johny radio wrote:

> Your solution seems based on the assumption that whomever gave access
> to the bad actor is a collaborator. That may be true in some cases,
> but surely not most.

I think what Jake's pretty smart thinking here does is force us to start
taking some responsibility for our community and the people entering
into it and is proposing one of the only workable ways I have heard so
far to do this.

Look around NB, Johny, see a lot of the female hackers that were there a
while ago? Where did they all go? Is there a convention somewhere else?
What has been stated by many people and while I don't personally
experience it, being male and all, I believe completely, is that NB has
become even more hostile and dangerous to women than is average in the
tech nerd community (which already has huge and well known issues in
this area). This is because we don't take responsibility for our
community and who is in it.

We can't have nice things. This has been belabored in recent
conversations over and over and in waves since the dawn of NB time. Why
can't we have nice things? Why do hardware hackers realize we can't work
on any project we can't carry in and out of the space because if we
leave anything on our shelves, no matter how esoteric, there is a 50%
chance it is going to disappear? Because we don't take responsibility
for our community and who is in it.

Jake's thinking here isn't the solution to the problems of our community,
but it sure looks to me like a step in the right direction.

-john