[Noisebridge-discuss] Community, FTP, & Problem Solving

Callme Whatiwant nejucomo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 04:59:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM, rachel lyra hospodar
<rachelyra at gmail.com>wrote:

> mediumreality.com
> On Jun 27, 2013 9:27 PM, "Callme Whatiwant" <nejucomo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>>
>

> > I'm imagining something distinct but complementary to the "rebase /
> runlevel 6" movement which I see as more specific, short term, and
> concrete. By contrast, I believe what we are discussing here is more like
> an ongoing discussion group about social change within noise bridge.
>
> There is a group that formed called social engineering, they met for a
> while and did some awesome work creating structures etc. Not sure if they
> are still meeting? It all seemed very boring to me, policy-oriented and
> spending a lot of time talking. Not judging, just sharing my reaction.

I'm judging: I am not interested in policies so much.  I am interested in
skills.  I don't care about what the sign says on the wall, I care about
"how can I improve this situation more effectively?"

> I think examining these kinds of reactions within myself is important
> because it gives me clues on why some people don't like to use a given
> method.

Maybe it's because "policy" implies a detached institutional situation.
 I'm less interested in such situations because I'm interested in
small-scale personal social interactions.

I recognize that such institutional change is valuable for helping
marginalized groups address various forms of oppression within
institutions, and it may also be that institutional change can influence
broader or longer term social attitudes...  but that's all way too abstract
and distant from my own experience.

> > Does that distinction make sense?  Nuts and bolts versus skills and
> theory?
> >

> I grok.
> As a group we at nb characterize ourselves as short on skills and theory
> in the social department. For me this has always been an interesting thing
> to look at because a) less cruft to clear out when making changes

Can you clarify this "less cruft" comment a bit?

[snip...]

regards,
Nathan