[Noisebridge-discuss] a doorcode is now required to let people into noisebridge

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 20:39:36 UTC 2013

I was intimating that there are other likely explanations:

1) people didn't know the new procedure was in place, perhaps tried the
buzz-in button and found it "didn't work" and so didn't bother with it
anymore

2) people knew about the procedure but found it too onerous (i.e.
high friction) to complete the action, and so didn't bother (which
dovetails with your theory, Jake)

If you're going to run this as a real experiment -- which I do hope you do
-- you'll need to find ways of disambiguating the reasons why people do or
don't complete an action.

The advantage of running this as a real experiment is that you will find it
easier to convince people to leave the system in place. Assuming positive
evidence, of course.

--Naomi

On Friday, July 5, 2013, Jake wrote:

> shannon,
>
> your statement is not clear to me.  are you saying that the reason people
> did not type in their code (upstairs, to let people in) very much was
> because they could see that there were people walking down the stairs to do
> it manually?  So they didn't bother using their code to do it?
>
> or are you saying that people were seen traversing the stairs to let
> people in, and that's how you know the logs show that few people used the
> upstairs keypad to let people in (by typing a valid code)?
>
> i was saying that the reason there were few instances of people using the
> upstairs keypad (with a valid code) to let people in was because people
> with codes were tired of a lot of the people without codes coming in, and
> wanted to leave them on the street so that noisebridge could return to its
> former glory.
>
> -jake
>
> shannon wrote:
> The observed reason for this is that people were walking down the stairs
> to open the doors regularly.
>
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>
>  last time there were not many examples of people using their code to let
>> people in, but i suspect that is because a lot of people who have codes are
>> tired of a lot of the people without codes coming in.  So they prefer to
>> ignore them.
>>

>> On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, Naomi Most wrote:
>>
>>  Cool.  I'm looking forward to seeing data on patterns of use.

Naomi Theora Most
naomi at nthmost.com
+1-415-728-7490

skype: nthmost