[Noisebridge-discuss] Hacker Fellowship

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 01:13:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Danny O'Brien <danny at spesh.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Snail <snailtsunami at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:31 AM, James Sundquist <
> sundquistjames at gmail.com>

> on our
> basic

> ala
>
> This would be an extremely big change from the current tradition,
> which is that we don't use central Noisebridge funds, and raise money
> separately for separate projects. Noisetor is a separate project, with
> separate funds + fundraising.
>
> I don't think this could get through consensus without some pretty
> strong arguments about why it couldn't be independently fundraised.
>
> Speaking as the treasurer, I really don't want to have to try and
> track this. I'm rubbish enough as it is. I have a strong feeling it
> would be pretty tricky to work out the legal ramifications, too.

Other bonus points: If someone independently raises and manages funds
(maybe set the goal lower than $2k to start), then you probably won't need
CONSENSUS for awarding it, you just need to give the people donating some
other assurance that you have a fair and awesome selection process. :)

You might want to talk to people who've been on the decision-making side of
the Awesome Foundation http://www.awesomefoundation.org/ which does exactly
what you want to see from Noisebridge. They grant $1,000 to someone who has
a plan for a project, and the funds go to the project, not to labor /
salary / etc, and they pick one project per month. I believe a few
Noisebridge members have been on the decision-side (Mitch, Praveen, ?,
unless I am mistaken) and Meredith had an awesome scarf-a-day project
funded! They can probably tell you more about what kind of work it takes to
keep it going.

--
-Snailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnails