[Noisebridge-discuss] Hacker Fellowship

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 02:31:20 UTC 2013

i like the idea of a fellowship, if done right.
(Yes, i believe a thing can be done well or poorly. Would love to see
Noisebridge evoke that OTHER meaning of "excellence".)

7/24 snail wrote:
"If someone independently raises and manages funds (maybe set the goal
lower than $2k to start), then you probably won't need CONSENSUS for
awarding it, you just need to give the people donating some other
assurance that you have a fair and awesome selection process."

i agree with snail's point. also, snail's suggestion to take some
lessons from the Awesome foundation. I agree a fellowship program is not
something to be consensed on without taking time to refine and improve
the plan. i agree that $2K/month is an unrealistic goal, at least at the
beginning.

i agree that approving grants is an inappropriate use of the consensus
process. There should be a qualified group, perhaps continually
rotating, separate from general meetings, tasked with evaluating
proposals. That's a time-consuming process, which should be done
systematically, and does not make sense to consume time during general
meetings to review what could be numerous proposals, each containing a
detailed budget, action plan, schematics, etc etc.

i agree that the fellowship should raise funds separate from NB
operating funds. BUT, donation channels should be nearby regular NB
donation channels. Ie., put a fellowship donation link next to the NB
donation link. Put a fellowship donation box next to the NB donation box.

I would go further, and say that it should be possible for ALL nb
donations to be earmarked for specific things. Like, if i want to donate
$10 to the electronics bench, i would prefer to specify that through the
standard NB donation channels. If i want to donate $20 to the woodshop,
i'd like to be able to specify that.

I realize Danny may legitimately feel that targeted donations puts too
much work on his plate, but the solution is not to throw out targeted
donations (which could be beneficial to NB), but instead to review the
Treasurer's workload and process, and if necessary find him a partner,
or use COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY to ease this task, or some other method to
make targeted donations possible without increasing Danny's workload.

(please nobody tell me to bring this to Rebase, until you move Rebase
meetings to a time when I'm able to attend. Thanks.)

Johny Radio

Stick It In Your Ear!