[Noisebridge-discuss] Anarchist? Libertarian?

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 19:19:00 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com> wrote:

> As one of the founding members, I can say that I am not an anarchist and
> anarchy was never one of the goals of Noisebridge. The goal was only ever
> to be an awesome hackerspace. You can describe it as anarchistic if you
> feel it fits (anyone can describe it however they like) but do not think
> that means everyone, or the organization in general, will agree with the
> label. And NEVER believe Noisebridge will conform to your idea of what an
> anarchist organization should be or do just because you label it so.
>
> -Rachel1.0

Rachel said it best. :)

We attract a lot of anarchists or anarchist-interested, and also some
libertarians and libertarian-interested, because they like the
non-hierarchical structure and that we don't have big lists of rules, but
mainly we attract a lot of hackers and technology folks of all political
leanings, and everything people are blend in to make Noisebridge what it
is. People like to throw around the word "anarchism" in Noisebridge either
because they are self-described anarchists or they are saying it kind of
jokingly because of how non-organized we are & that is what they think
anarchy is [chaos], whether that's correct or not.

I am surprised you thought it was an anarchist organization, as in that is
Noisebridge's goal! But maybe not too surprised.

--
-Snailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnails