[Noisebridge-discuss] [SPAM] Re: Red asked to leave.

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Wed Jun 19 03:14:22 UTC 2013

Hey Mike,

Welcome to noisebridge-discuss. As you can see, the discussion here can be
robust and wide-ranging. It's always worth saying that if you have or
perceive a problem, it's often quicker to discuss it in the space, or come
to Tuesday meeting.

One small note: we traditionally have people (or even one person) join the
list, pretend to be regular visitors to the space, drop in a carefully
constructed (but tortuous) observation that is intended to stir up
arguments even more. It's kind of unnecessary -- people at Noisebridge are
perfectly capable of trolling each other, or even self-trolling themselves.
It complicates matters though because even when mildly trolling, real
people are trying to convey their (sometimes bizarro) opinions. The devoted
trollers' habits aren't really intended to convey information, and they're
kind of boring.

Anyway, my point here is that you have, possibly in error, hit a number of
the indicators of the drive-by-troll: throwaway email address, claims to be
recent subscriber, and making a point by adopting a peculiarly inflammatory
position.

The best way to fix this is to just come up to someone in the space, and
introduce yourself by your pseudonym. Otherwise, this would be a first
warning. Note again that this isn't due to the content of your point, it's
due to you triggering a bunch of "probably bad faith troll" indicators.
Believe me, it's really hard to tell fake trolls from real people, but we
do try, and sorry again if you got caught in the crossfire.

d.