[Noisebridge-discuss] ?How not to crash at noisebridge

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Sat May 11 13:04:52 UTC 2013

On /Fri May 10 17:57:36 UTC 2013/, Michael Clift, occupirate at
gmail.com, wrote:
> I think NB should be able to "accommodate" out of towners here on business
-i think we should accommodate out-of-towners here for hacking-related
activities. not business.

> ...this war on sleeping is stupid.
-i.m.o., a war on napping is petty, and would be unnecessary if some
people were not periodically living here.
-Napping has a rich history among inventors and artists.
-i.m.o., we should continue to ensure that we are not breaking the lease
or violating city ordinances

> we should be as hospitable as possible.
-true dat

> Get back to work
-hmm, not so crazy about you barking orders at people.

> stop griping about homeless hackers
-some of NB's most valuable and productive people are, were, or will be
homeless. I will do anything in my meager ability to support, protect,
and help homeless hackers.
-i believe it's the /non-hackers /(homeless or non-homeless) who some
view as a disruption, distraction, and/or theft-risk.

> realize that NB is a developing entity unto itself.
-Is it valuable for a hackerspace to have a stated mission? or is it
better to allow NB to be what it will be, organically, without any
rudder or destination or purpose?
-If NB organically became, say:

  * a videogame parlor, and/or
  * 100% homeless crashers, thieves, meth-heads, people shooting up in
    the bathroom and doing whipits at the electronics bench, and/or
  * a recurring mess on the scale of a national-disaster in every room,
    chronically broken or stolen equipment, a kitchen infested with
    hundreds of fruit-flies and cockroaches, and an entire space
    infested with mice (no resemblance to any actual hackerspace intended)

-Is that outcome consistent with the founders' vision? Is it an outcome
we as a community would be happy about? Is it an outcome with which you,
Michael, are content? Is it an outcome that we are /obligated /to
accept, because it happened organically?

> "if it aint hurtin nothing, leave it be".
-Fo sho'. But if it IS hurtin....

> Now, NB junkie hackers need to be more vigilant about leaving their
> works laying around
-Friend, you're saying that junkies mainlining in the bathroom is just
fine, as long as folks pack up their needles. I love San Francisco.
-Personally, I can deal, but many cannot. To those driven away by such
activities, do we say "fuck 'em"?
-Any founding docs which could lend insight?

> I am of the opinion that the whole "membership" thing is ... aptly
> demonstrated by people who happen to have "homes"
-i wonder, have there never have been any homeless people who became
members, or members who became homeless?
-I'm not homeless, but i have been. Please don't hate me for having a
roof over my head at the moment. It's not like somebody gave it to me on
a silver platter. Other people got problems too, bro.
-I believe in work. i believe in earning one's keep in this world. I'm
just against exploitation. No one should sacrifice their best energies
to some heartless corporation. i know this whole country is screwing
everyone except the rich. Those on the bottom get hit hardest. It IS
capitalist brutality.
-But America's socioeconomic injustice is not Noisebridge's fault or
burden. Non-hacking people should not exploit Noisebridge.
-i can only afford $10/month, so i'm not a member. But lack of
membership has not impeded my use of NB one bit. I don't feel looked
down on, as a non-member. But maybe that's because i hack. It's a
hackerspace.

> ...the techno-weenie/isolated/weirdo lifestyles of these struggling
> bobos.
-ha-ha. colorful description.
-But, techno-weenies are core hacker culture. It's a hackerspace.

> NB HAS been described IN PRINT and the MEDIA as an anarchist based
> collective that is all inclusive.
-But, how does Noisebridge describe itself in print?
-Has the NB community ever formally described "what Noisebridge is and
isn't"? I would find that helpful.
-I don't mean a wiki page that some member/non-member posted, describing
their personal opinion. I mean a shared, collectively ratified document.
-Is creating a shared, collectively ratified Mission Statement an act of
Fascism? Or is it something NB should urgently achieve, to bring clarity
to future debates and decisions?

> we are all SHARING the space, and should not waste time attempting to
> dominate the space by asserting status
-i must say, friend, that when you bitch about
"techno-weenie/isolated/weirdo lifestyles of these struggling bobos",
you do not sound "all-inclusive"; you're asserting status as the
opposite of that.

Regards,

Johny Radio
Stick It In Your Ear!