[Noisebridge-discuss] how to protect media wikies against spammers - in general

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 17 23:24:53 UTC 2013

Hi crw and all,
I've a question about the media wiki again. I'm thinking about restricting the account creation to whoever wants to create them to people with some either code or for who we create the account by ourselves. It is more or less three people working on the project now, growing probably soon to 5-10 people and it is just not worth it I think at the moment, the amount of spam is increasing and it takes too much time to clean it (even after installing captcha).

I've found some info how to restrict user rights here

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:User_rights

but my major issue is that I do not know where to find the LocalSettings.php file or how to open it? I'm not very good with the online stuff, I guess opening it with vim (which I know) should be fine but how to find the source file I'm not sure and my mates are quite on the topic now ... I'm not sure if there is some graphic option for this could not find anything.

Here is the link to our special pages changes and you can see it is getting out of hand

https://foodhackingbase.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges

Many thanks for any info,

Sincerely,

 Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org

On Monday, October 28, 2013 1:43 AM, "crw at crw.io" <crw at crw.io> wrote:

On 10/27, Frantisek Apfelbeck wrote:
> What would be your recommendations to decrease the frequency?

Hi Frantisek,

This page covers some strategies for dealing with the problems you're
experiencing:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam

If you'd just like to hide the results from your Recent Changes page,
there's some information on doing that here:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Help:Contents#Watching_Changes

You'll probably also want to fix whatever SSL issue you're having.

Lastly, with regards to food hacking, I'd be remiss not to mention and
link to The Hacker's Diet, which has helped me personally:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/

:)

-c.