[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Why I sent a lot of emails to the list tonight.

Kevin Schiesser bfb at riseup.net
Fri Sep 13 07:06:10 UTC 2013

On 09/12/2013 07:31 AM, spinach williams wrote:

> > the reason why i sent a lot of emails to the list tonight is because
> I wanted to keep each update and subject separate. I am not spamming
> the list nor wish to not be considered that I am.
> >
> > In addition I don't like the list and wish we would "end of line" it
> and start over it is now for some the only thing that updates and
> represents Noisebridge for some people. It is a system that is so
> toxic in drama that a lot of positivity of NB gets drowned out.
>
> sounds like an act of willful sabotage, purposely using a system you
> don't like in a way which, while technically not incorrect, slows
> things down for the express purpose of proving your point. do what you
> do, but own it next time. the entire series of messages could've been
> summed together in a textfile and sent out as a newsletter -- single
> message, folks still pick and choose what to respond to, the mass of
> it encourages anyone responding to take their time doing so and really
> think it out. you know, consideration in return for consideration. of
> course a mailing list is unsuitable for up to the minute surveillance,
> rob, that's not the culture a list embodies.
>
> > The funny thing is that I spoke with a hacker from another space,
> and they said they were having the same problems with there list, so I
> kind of smirk-thinking that this may be a systemic problem across many
> hacker spaces and their drama filled lists.
>
> this is going to happen. we're a bunch of different people using a
> space that's been open for ages. cultures shift and methods of using
> the space that worked before don't anymore. gotta listen to each other
> and change some shit around. it'd be a lot quieter if we listened to
> folks different from us in good faith. though dramatic, it isn't drama
> -- here's living, breathing people who deserve respect, even in the
> event we cannot share space together. the reason you heard about it
> happening in another space is that space is making the same mistakes
> in preserving a system long after it's gone toxic.

What traditional systems have gone toxic at Noisebridge? The toxic
tradition of strict adherence to tradition? The expectation that it will
always be the same as we left it? I see a good number of people making a
good faith effort to communicate and in Rob's case, to upgrade
Noisebridge infrastrcture. It's challenging, hilarious and inspiring to
be there.

---------

"De sus labios al oído de los dios."