[Noisebridge-discuss] why would hackers come to noisebridge?

Jenny Ryan jenny at thepyre.org
Sat Mar 15 00:21:33 UTC 2014

via Ronald Cotoni setient at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 16:06:26 UTC 2014:
> And for noisebridge, which is 24/7 (sudroom which is not) there are
> different issues that you don't have to deal with.  You may or may
> not find yourself in the exact same situation with a bigger space.
> I would strongly suggest reading over the past few years of meeting
> notes and seeing if you see any similarities between sudoroom and
> noisebridge since sudoroom is mildly based on noisebridge.

Clarification: Sudo Room is 24/7. Members can get in at any time with
their door code, and anyone can ring the buzzer and will be let in so
long as someone is in the space. Usually there is someone in the
space, and folks can call the phone to make sure it's open before they
come by.

I've read more Noisebridge meeting minutes and discuss threads than I
care to admit, but rest assured we are paying attention to how NB
handles problems and experimenting with different solutions of our
own. Our meeting notes and mailing list threads date back to 2011, if
you want to read through them and see if you see any valuable
differentiations ;)

As for Batkid's response of "You make me sad. No poaching!" - which
doesn't really merit a response, I'll say anyway that the Noisebridge
community has been hugely supportive of sudo from the very beginning,
and this support has been instrumental to our community's growth and
development. And sudo in turn has been very supportive of helping more
and more hackerspaces to proliferate - from neighbors in the East Bay
and SF to aspiring hackerspaces on the other side of the planet. A
place on every block! Copy/paste/remix/repeat - it's all a grand
social experiment, and well worth the effort. \o/

Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://sudomesh.org
http://thevirtualcampfire.org
http://technomadic.tumblr.com

- -Laurie Anderson

"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining
it."
 -Hannah Arendt

- -Stéphane Mallarmé