[Noisebridge-discuss] proposals concerning banning

Gregory Dillon gregorydillon at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 05:50:49 UTC 2014

The community meeting approach has promise.   I'm concerned with the
current  systems' unfairness when the stay away part of the procedure -
which is good for  defusing a problem -  creates insurmountable impediments
to bring witnesses necessary for a fair listening.  Especially because,
people don't have every members contact information, and if one can't go to
the space, it is become nearly impossible to find the witness necessary for
a fair hearing.

The difficult is intensified if one person faithfully adheres to the
request to stay away and the other person does not.

A community meeting based approach would hopefully allow the situation to
be "frozen" in a designed safe fashion, and except in exceptional
circumstances, allow the parties to the conflict the chance to find the
witnesses to the "big" event.

This is important stuff.  Thanks.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Naomi Most <nthmost at icloud.com> wrote:

> Things that come to mind on a day when I am feeling more friendly to the
> idea of formal policy:
>
> 1) Only one person per proposal for consensus ban.  More than that is
> madness.
>
> 2) The "up for discussion" phase of a proposal to ban (i.e. the first week
> that an item is formally discussed at a meeting) may only take place if the
> involved parties who have assented to be contacted have been contacted, and
> if those involved & assenting parties have been offered mediation and/or
> community-based resolution.  This must be done in writing, or in person and
> then recorded in writing.
>
> I am not a github native (I only just converted to mercurial from
> subversion /last year/) and don't feel at home with the pull-request-based
> policy process.  So I'm writing my thoughts here and offering them up for
> skewering on the list.
>
> #2 is predicated on the idea of there being an enacted "community meeting"
>
> Your friend,
> Naomi
>

> --
> Naomi Theora Most