[Noisebridge-discuss] Beagle Bone Black running Debian - OSX toolchain?

Anders Nelson anders.k.nelson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 19:43:41 UTC 2014

Good morfternoon!

So I finally got my BBB and I'm turbo-jazzed to start working with it. I
want to use Eclipse and an ARM toolchain on OSX, and so far I have it
building swell with my *arm-none-linux-gnueabi* toolchain. "make -j7 all"
goes by like a bolt of lightning.

However, my executables won't run on the BBB, stating thus:

"error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory"

Yes, I've used apt-get and everything therein looks Kosher. From what I've
read, I need a *arm-linux-gnueabihf *toolchain built to run on OSX because
the version of Debian running on the BBB makes use of the hardware FPU
(awesome). I found one here:

http://will-tm.com/cross-compiling-mac-os-x-mavericks/

but of course, it's not perfect - it is using the "armv6j" instruction set
instead of what I believe should be "armv7" or "armv8" or some such. I see
the name Linaro everywhere but they only have toolchains built for Linux
and Windows.

Yes, I could install Virtualbox and do everything in a Linux VM but that
seems like terrific overkill (disk space, computing efficiency, smoothness,
etc.).

*Has anyone built an ARM toolchain for OSX before? If so, can you help me?*
I promise to post it to my blog or somewhere useful so others can use it,
too!

=]

--
Anders Nelson