[Noisebridge-discuss] Proposal to open Noisebridge at sunrise

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Thu Apr 30 21:03:22 UTC 2015

On 30 April 2015 at 13:46, kjs <bfb at riseup.net> wrote:

> In this case, I would like to improve the interface for adding
> fulltimeusers. Am I correct that currently one must edit a text file on
> Earl's raspPie to assign a key fulltimeuser permissions?

yes, it is a bit awkward. We should have more menu-options in the LCD.
However, it would probably not make much difference as we anyway would have
to edit the name and contact of a person with a fulltimeuser access. It is
mostly about implementation, so great if you would  like to work on it.

Current discussion items are ranging from a terminal based curses thing via
some ssh connection (probably too much effort) to a little web interface. I
like the web interface idea, but we need to have some interaction with the
reader to authenticate people doing things on the web interface for
instance. Talk to me as I have some implementation ideas.

The naming of these groups is a bit misleading. In general these are just
users of different levels of observed 'responsibleness'. 'users' are the
ones where we don't know yet. 'fulltimeusers' are the ones that seem to be
responsible enough to be opening the space in the morning and making sure
to take care of giving people a tour and stuff. And 'members' are people
that consistently showed responsible behavior and also can give out new
tokens.

Also,  is there somewhere between sunrise and 11:00 that y'all are
> comfortable with? Sunrise+2hr? I feel most anon users are good users and
> key expiry will filter a majority of the bad users.

This can be discussed and could be a compromise. In summer, that would be
around 7:30am so a tad early; in winter it could be a tad late.

But remember,we have about 150 users now, most of them anonymous. Right
now, the practice is to give out tokens realtively freely, but I don't know
if I'd like all of these to be in there at dawn...
However, I am happy to do some experiments.

-h