[Noisebridge-discuss] Proposal to open Noisebridge at sunrise

Patrick O'Doherty p at trickod.com
Thu Apr 30 21:11:19 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 02:03:22PM -0700, Henner Zeller wrote:
> On 30 April 2015 at 13:46, kjs <bfb at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> > In this case, I would like to improve the interface for adding
> > fulltimeusers. Am I correct that currently one must edit a text file on
> > Earl's raspPie to assign a key fulltimeuser permissions?
> >

> yes, it is a bit awkward. We should have more menu-options in the LCD.
> However, it would probably not make much difference as we anyway would have
> to edit the name and contact of a person with a fulltimeuser access. It is
> mostly about implementation, so great if you would  like to work on it.
>
> Current discussion items are ranging from a terminal based curses thing via
> some ssh connection (probably too much effort) to a little web interface. I
> like the web interface idea, but we need to have some interaction with the
> reader to authenticate people doing things on the web interface for
> instance. Talk to me as I have some implementation ideas.

I'm in favour of a web page accessible only on the Noisebridge LAN.

it'd be possible to have a challenge / response authentication mechanism
with a small web interface, as follows:

* You visit the page are issued a token
* You present your card to the reader and provide your same token
* You can now admin your own card.

> [...]
> > wrote:
> > >+1 to what Henner suggested:  'fulltimeusers' get extended from sunrise
> > >to start at sunrise.
> > >
> > >Best,
> > >Mitch.
> > >

> > >Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 22:13:35 -0700
> > >From: h.zeller at acm.org
> > >To: bfb at riseup.net
> > >CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> > >Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Proposal to open Noisebridge at
> > >sunrise
> > >
> > >On 29 April 2015 at 20:17,  <bfb at riseup.net> wrote:
> > >Hi all,
> > >

> > >At the last several meetings there has been lively discussion to bump
> > >up our opening time from 11:00 to sunrise. Specifically, Earl, our
> > >gatekeeper, is configured for three user types.
> > >

> > >Earl currently opens when an RFID key is scanned for:
> > >

> > >anonymous users from 11:00 - 22:00
> > >
> > >deanonymized users from 7:00 - 23:59
> > >
> > >root users with 24 hour access
> > >
> > >the second group is actually 'fulltimeusers', which is like the other
> > >users as well and 'could' be anonymous, but in practice isn't (but
> > >should probably be a requirement).
> > >

> > >The proposal is to change this to:
> > >

> > >anonymous users from sunrise - 22:00
> > >
> > >deanonymized users form sunrise - 23:59
> > >
> > >root users with 24 hour access
> > >
> > >I would _not_ put anonymous users in the sunrise category. We give out
> > >tokens pretty freely these days, and I would like to continue this
> > >welcoming gesture. However, if this brings in the burden to really,
> > >really be sure that this is a person I can 100% trust, then giving out
> > >tokens will be slowed down; which is not what we want. Someone coming
> > >in in early hours should be explicitly put into that category.
> > >So I would like to have people who can access the space in the early
> > >hours to be known and explicitly put in the 'fulltimeuser' category.
> > >
> > >But I am (personally) ok with having 'fulltimeuser' extended in the
> > >morning to sunrise (and would slightly endorse it).
> > >-h
> > >

> > >To accomplish this we use the https://github.com/cpucycle/astrotime
> > >library. The code is in place, perhaps ready to deploy.
> > >

> > >How do others feel about this change? If you're curious, have a look at
> > >meeting discussions.
> > >

> > >https://www.noisebridge.net/Meeting_Notes_2015_04_07
> > >
> > >https://www.noisebridge.net/Meeting_Notes_2015_04_21
> > >
> > >https://www.noisebridge.net/Meeting_Notes_2015_04_28
> > >

> > >Some salient points for me include:
> > >

> > >Early birds have described friction with the 11:00 opening hour
> > >
> > >Noisebridge is lonely when empty
> > >
> > >Noisebridge prospers when used, not abused
> > >
> > >Early birds want to hack between sunrise and 11:00 at Noisebridge
> > >
> > >Updating RFID keys with contact information requires editing a text
> > >file (not currently supported via the touchpad interface)
> > >
> > >Decoupling Noisebridge from an arbitrary and obsolete governmental
> > >definition, the PDT/PST flux, is nice
> > >
> > >Sunrise is beautiful
> > >
> > >If the change is not working out, we can always roll back

Patrick O'Doherty
+1 (650) 701-7829