[Noisebridge-discuss] Is Noisebridge Alive? How to tell!

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Jun 5 01:05:56 UTC 2015

Hi there.

In an effort to make Noisebridge more awesome, some of us have been
trying to help solve the age old question of, "Is anyone at Noisebridge
there to let me in?" or in other words, "Is Noisebridge alive?"

We've got three solutions brewing that'll hopefully help with this problem!

- Sentient Door
- Semaphore Switch
- ASCII Portal

The idea with all these solutions is to basically tell someone visiting
if the space currently has activity or not without de-anonymizing anyone.

Sentient Door will be a time stamp of when the door up stairs was last
mechanistically opened, we're going to achieve this with a simple
door/window sensor. Semaphore Switch will be a switch that you can
physically flip on or off to activate or kill a virtual OPEN sign.
Lastly the ASCII Portal is a purely in ASCII lowfi store front window
into Noisebridge, if there's a blob of extra Q and T characters sitting
at a Hackitorium table then that might be a hacker on a laptop, or a
mongoose eating pie (regardless, there's a good chance they'll buzz you
in!).

Not everything is working yet, but eventually they'll all show up here...

http://alive.noisebridge.net

Beyond that we're totally open to new ideas and neat tricks on detecting
and communicating awesome activity at Noisebridge without violating
people's privacy.

Thanks!

--
Rubin