[Noisebridge-discuss] Proposal to open Noisebridge at sunrise

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Sun May 3 02:09:42 UTC 2015

On 2 May 2015 at 19:02, Olivier Laleu <olivier.laleu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi noisebridge,
>
> Thanks for having discussed the proposal during last Tuesday meetings
> and on NB-discuss. Big thanks to Kevin for having helped me with format
> dates in Golang and having launched some tests.
>
> Proposition:
> 1 --- I did a pull-request to Henner and Kevin to have a user's (non
> fulltime) token working 3 hours after the sunrise. You can check my code
> here:
>
> https://github.com/lol84/rfid-access-control/blob/master/software/earl/user.go
>
> Before
> member - 24h a day
> fullTimeUser - from 7 to 23h59
> user - from 11 to 21h59
>
> After
> member - 24h a day
> fullTimeUser - from sunrise to 23h59
> user - from (sunrise + 3 hours) to 21h59

Unless I missed something, I think the discussion about this last item has
not settled yet. Leave it at 11:00 for
now until we have come to a conclusion.

> 2 --- The idea of Patrick to have an interface from where visitors could
> make their own rfid card sounds doocratically cool. Maybe I could give
> help with databases.

I have not understood Patricks original comment, but I don't think he meant
that
anybody can create a token.

> Question:
> 1 --- sunrise + 3 hours means a space opened at 9:32 for a user. Is
> there a consensus on it? We still can write sunrise + 4 hours if you
> think it would be unsecured.

Leave that at 11 for now until we have consensus. Also in winter-time, this
might
be pretty late.

> 2 --- What about writing on the wiki page "Noisebridge is opened today
> from 9:32 to 22:00", via a javascript function. We can grab the code of
> the NOAA sunrise hour (the same that is given by astrotime) via
> javascript. I can help on it.

Check with Patrick and Torrie, I think they were working on some 'is open'
indicator somewhere.
(also 'open' in your case means 'open with RFID' or something)

> Last thoughts:
> For newcomers, to know they can enter noisebridge via an rfid related to
> the sunrise, is, so cool!
> For hackers, to know that the space do not depends from arbitrary
> bi-annual time changes sounds cool too!

(At least it is a neat thing from the hack-perspective.
Most peoples schedule is actually not related to sunrise, so it just makes
it
harder to reason when the space is open.)

> Henner, Kevin, Patrick,...let me know when you would like to ssh or
> operate Earl manually. I'm really interested seeing it working.

I'll meet with Kevin on Monday evening and chat about implementing a web
interface.