[Noisebridge-discuss] [Noisebridge-announce] Noisebridge Statement on Jacob Appelbaum

Andrey Fedorov me at anfedorov.com
Sat Jun 11 07:45:08 UTC 2016

Thanks, Rob. Sounds like some great stories on /wiki/86, as well as some
potentially horrifying ones. Again, nothing I've read about Jacob seems to
obviously justify banning him from a space as some of the examples on that
page do (e.g. intoxication, theft, physical assault). I'm not as worried
about any messages being forged as I am about this being a decision made by
emotion dominating and silencing reason.

In particular, I think it's really important to list exactly what "public
claims of sexual misconduct" this ban is based on and what the chain of
reasoning between them and the ban is. Based on what I read, I see reasons
to warn people about getting into a sexual relationship with Jacob unless
they are into enforcing / pushing boundaries also (as many powerful women
are!), but not for banning him from giving talks at a space. Perhaps I
missed something. Can someone please link and summarize the evidence?

Sure thing, Jim. I'll refrain from quoting Niemöller, and just say suppression
of discussion via emotional triggers is a really shallow rhetorical tactic.
I think we're better than that.