[Noisebridge-discuss] Build Your Own Internet! workshop this Saturday, 1-4pm @ Omni Commons

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 01:32:09 UTC 2017

Greetings,

The Peoples Open Network is hosting a skillshare / workshop this Saturday,
March 18, from 1-4pm at the Omni Commons (home of the Sudo Room
hackerspace), and we'd love for you to join us!

>From the event page
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/build-your-own-internet-workshop-tickets-32460849274>
(plz rsvp so we know how many folks to expect!):

Do you think internet should be a public commons rather than a corporate
monopoly?

Come over to Omni Commons to learn about the history of the internet, how
it works, and how to build your own. Meet and mingle with civic hackers and
organizers behind peoplesopen.net: an open, community-based, network in the
East Bay.
Agenda:

1:00pm - Why/what/how of the internet (< 30 minutes)

1:30pm - Snack, mingle, share and experiment

2:00pm - Hands-on workshop with a variety of learning stations such as:
rooftop mounting techniques, ethernet cable-crimping, live node link
demoing radio propagation, q&a table & non-tech signup station for
neighborhood organizers

Donations for pizza and internet are enthusiastically accepted ; )

The Omni Commons' ballroom is wheelchair-accessible via a lift in the
Entrance Hall, where there is also located a wheelchair-accessible
single-stall bathroom.

The Peoples Open Network <https://peoplesopen.net> enables anyone to share
their Internet connection or extend signal from neighboring nodes. Learn
more at peoplesopen.net.

The Omni Commons <https://omnicommons.org> is a 100% volunteer-run space
for community organizing, collaboration, and creative production located in
North Oakland. Learn more at omnicommons.org.

*BYOI Workshop *

*Omni Commons - Ballroom*

*4799 Shattuck, Oakland, California*

*Saturday 18 March 2017 1-4pm*

*RSVP at
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/build-your-own-internet-workshop-tickets-32460849274
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/build-your-own-internet-workshop-tickets-32460849274>
!*
--
Jenny

Help open a people-powered common space in Oakland, California!
https://omnicommons.org/donate

-Laurie Anderson

 -Hannah Arendt

-Stéphane Mallarmé