[Noisebridge-discuss] Looking to pay someone to build a simple device

Adrian Chadd adrian.chadd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 20:26:17 UTC 2018


Outside of a very specific set of circumstances, you need an actual USB
protocol sniffer device in the middle. It's a two-wire, differential pair
bidirectional bus for USB 1 and USB 2; USB 2 full and USB 3 is even
slightly scarier.

Here's a good writeup of it:



On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 at 12:16, Matthew Kleinsmith <mwksmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Henner,
> My goal is to duplicate a USB signal coming from a Playstation 4 (PS4)
> controller, sending one copy of the signal to a PS4 and one copy to a PC;
> very much like the camera example you mentioned, where both target devices
> receive the information from the source (camera). My larger goal is to be
> able to play the PS4 while recording the inputs for later analysis.
> "have maybe something listening passively on the other one what is going
> on"  <--- This is my aim, but I think my understanding is wrong because I
> interpret your camera example as matching this
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 8:56 AM Henner Zeller <h.zeller at acm.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 at 02:43, Matthew Kleinsmith <mwksmith at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hey, I'm looking to pay someone $70 plus money for parts to build a
>> simple USB splitter. Is anyone in the Bay Area interested?
>> >
>> > I need it to take a USB signal and then send it to two devices at the
>> same time, and ideally without adding much of a delay. This means one end
>> would be USB female and two ends would be USB male.
>> If you want to send data from the computer to two devices, wouldn't
>> you need two female and one male connect ?
>> What do you want to achieve ? The  USB standard is a bidirectional bus
>> protocol, so if you intend to send/receive data you can do that only
>> from one connection, and then have maybe something listening passively
>> on the other one what is going on. But you can't fundamentally, say,
>> plug in a camera and plug it into two computers and have the image
>> show up on both; or vice versa: have multiple devices receive the same
>> data from one computer. As the protocol is not simply 'sending stuff',
>> but it is a whole back and forth protocol. If you had two devices
>> connected just with some crossover cabling, nothing would work.
>> So the closest to plugging in two devices is to actually use a hub.
>> There is no such thing as an 'Y-cable' that also splits data; you can
>> only use that with power.
>> > When I searched for this device all I found were Y-cables where one
>> line was unfortunately power only.
>> Exactly, and that is the only thing that would work.
>> -h
> _______________________________________________
> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list
> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> https://lists.noisebridge.net/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/attachments/20181222/30d8c1e8/attachment.html>

More information about the Noisebridge-discuss mailing list