[Powerstation-discuss] Hi from Tokyo Hackerspace

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Nov 18 22:44:26 UTC 2011

Akiba wrote, On 2011-11-17 17:25:
> This is Akiba from Tokyo Hackerspace. I just joined this mailing list and
> hope to talk about things Tokyo Hackerspace can do to assist on the tech
> side of the occupy effort. Three things we're working on right now:

Hi Akiba. You guys rock! I was starting to worry that no other hacker
spaces were going to join in on this Hackupy thing. Also it was fun
video chatting with folks from your space a few nights ago via Nick Farr.

> 1)       Phone chargers - We have phone charger kits that we made after the
> tsunami to take power from car batteries and convert it to 5V to charge
> phones with. We sent 4 kits with MCT and the schematics can be found here:
>
> http://taylanayken.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/12v-phone-charger-v2-0/

This is awesome. A few of us here will be happy to see them.

> 2)       FM radio transmitter - We're investigating a small FM radio
> transmitter that can be used to broadcast people that are speaking locally.
> At Zucotti Park, we heard that hearing is very difficult and the human mic
> relay is being used. A full PA system will be difficult to have as a
> portable system so a small FM transmitter of about 1W or so might be a
> better option to broadcast to everyone.

I was thinking about coming up with a wifi/internet system of streaming,
FM works good but I wonder how many people will actually have radios here.

> 3)       Centralized link repository - Simple, but there is no centralized
> place we found for information. We're going to try and collect links into a
> centralized wiki repo.

Yeah this has been a problem I've been looking into too.
http://occupywiki.org is crap. Feel free to use hackerspaces.org!

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net