[Rack] Internet is borked

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Mon Oct 25 19:57:12 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> Yesterday while in the space people were complaining about the internet
> being broken. Nothing was handing out DHCP on the local network, there
> were a number of people plugging/unplugging some of the APs with the
> idea that if they restart them things would magically work (referring to
> the APs as wireless routers, thinking that they also dealt with the
> incoming net connection and routing that).

I keep trying to point people to the detailed wiki page on the network
or the network troubleshooting page, but it just doesn't seem to get
used.
Since most people's usual network access gets dropped when there's a
problem, I'm wondering if I should just print a copy and tape it to
the door of PenIsland or something...

I suspect the DSL modem is still freaking out. After all the
troubleshooting Dr. J and I were doing, I'm convinced the modem is
sick and it actually wasn't having a problem getting link inside of
PenIsland. I'm considering just moving it back into there so that I
can have the soekrises reboot the modem with the IP PDU when it gets
fucked up.

Also, gorilla should probably be setup as a peer DHCP server so that
both can serve leases. I'll see about doing that.

Cheers,
jof