[Rack] doorport - do you know how the door opener works?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Dec 6 22:34:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> hmm, well it's not really that i want the code myself as much as i want
> someone else to make it work.  i plugged it into the minotaur box because
> that way it doesnt require a separate machine or arduino somewhere, and
> minotaur is up there with the real infrastructure.

I'm happy to help facilitate making anything related work with the
hardware/software, since I feel like I know it well. However, from my
perspective, it was already working. Coming onto the list and saying "Help!
Make the door work!" doesn't make it clear what you're looking for, or how
anyone can help you out.

I don't think that hooking the door up to Minotaur makes it any more or
less stable. However, I think powering things out of the closet is a good
idea as there's a UPS in there.
I still think the Arduino is a good idea, and I still intend to get that
going once the hardware is in. It too would still be powered by the
UPS-backed power and being as opening the door would be all it's doing,
it's a lot harder to crash or be rendered inoperable by other stuff going
on with the host computer.

[ ... ] mostly i just want to be able to open the door from the internets
> again.

What does this mean to you? There have been a number of pages and scripts
to open the gate over the years, and I just don't know all the things that
people used. The most common one (I think) was the
http://pony.noise/gateURL. There was also a QR-code / PIN based system
that Rubin made and I
don't know much about (yet).

Cheers,