[Rack] Lock Wiki Page

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 12:08:13 UTC 2014

From: "Andy Isaacson" <adi at hexapodia.org>

>Second, I fucking copy and pasted the log message showing that I left
>the page in exactly the state you left it in. While you were reading,
>your troll came along and edited at around 00:56. Sometimes I'm
>incompetent and sometimes I make a mistake, but in this case it's
>pretty
>annoying of you to displace responsibility and incorrectly accuse me of
>incompetence.

I'm looking at the page at this moment, 4:50 am san francisco time. On
the page is the text:

-JOHNY RADIO TO BRING OR ARRANGE TO BRING PIZZA AND BEER?

That is not my text.

The most recent edit (since i last fixed the page 2 hours prior) is the
troll:

04:36, 7 April 2014‎ 204.8.156.142 (Talk)‎ . . (+70)‎

that's 10 minutes prior your email to me herein. So for two hours, the
page was correct and showed me as last editor. Then the page gets hacked
anonymously again, and within 10 minutes i get this email from you. How
does that happen?

(does the above stat indicate that ip address has made 70 edits to the
wiki? Maybe time to ban it?)

>Frankly, I don't understand your wiki page nor the event you're
>running,
>but then I'm not in your target audience so I guess that's no big
>problem.

I guess that's not even a small problem. I don't understand what you
don't understand about it, it's a hacking event. But you don't have to
understand it.

>You might want to experiment with more sophisticated wiki
>formatting techniques, the <center> and indent-for-monospace formatting
>feels pretty Geocities, and the ALLCAPS for random EMPHASIS is
>obnoxious.

I'm not really looking for formatting tips here, thanks. The page
delivers the information.

>Another thing -- if you want to discard a bunch of edits, just go back
>to the page version you want in History, click on the timestamp to
>visit
>the "old page", then click "edit", then click "save" on the resulting
>page. Your current technique of using the "undo" link for every edit is
>super annoying.

All these clicks you're recommending are super-annoying. Wikimedia
provides an "undo" link, so i shall use it. It does the job.

>>AFAIK, the options are
>>  - unprotected
>>  - semiprotected
>>  - full protected
>>A random account I just created seems to not be able to edit, while a
>>random account I created a few years ago can edit. (Let the troll
>>accounts begin!)

any idea why a new account cannot edit it, but an old one can? And if
new accounts cannot edit it, then would that not stop new troll
accounts?

Do you happen to recall if you set it to semiprotected before or after
the above-mentioned 4:36 troll?

Does the wiki disallow hushmail and other temp email hosts for new
accounts? If not, might that be a good idea?

Thx
jr