[Digitalarchivists] [sudo-discuss] I want to establish a book scanner at Sudo room or in Oakland

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Sat Dec 30 23:36:30 UTC 2017

guessing we want to do optical character recognition so we wind up with
small filesize searchable pdfs.  anyone heard of any software that can
preserve images and tables?  I remember doing OCR in vanilla acrobat a
long time ago but unfamiliar with latest tech

 wrote:

> lockable should not be a problem. If noisebridge is donating one of the
 older designs, it would be framed with raw wood we can just screw some
hinges and plywood in - to box it - to keep people from fiddling with
the
mechanisms. The cameras might need a more secure spot at the omni.

> Marc, Robb, Jake,
> I am looking forward to meeting and working with you. I am new to this
 list, the omni commons and the sudo room so please keep me straight on
that.

> I am back in town Jan. 1 --- Tues Jan. 2 would be a good day for me to
 meet and begin - and maybe complete a plan and proposal if needed for
the
omni collectives. I have a van if there is a base-kit already
constructed
at noisebridge that needs to be picked up.

> Sat, Dec 23, 2017
> Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote
>
> I can donate two identical Canon digital cameras to this project.
> ...there's an extra book scanner at noisebridge that they were
 begging me to take.

> On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 11:35 AM, robb <sf99er at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> we may have to make it lockable :/
>
> On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 10:42 AM, robb <sf99er at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> although future basement media center might be a better place
>
> On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 10:41 AM, robb <sf99er at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> i'd like to help
> omni collectives might allow it to live in the ballroom mezz library
 if we draft a proposal

> i'm getting a vtr (vid tape rec) w/sdi output to digitize old vhs
 tapes w/optimal quality next week too

> On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>
> I can donate two identical Canon digital cameras to this project.
>
> -jake
>
> On Sat, 23 Dec 2017, jacques revera wrote:
>
> I would like to talk with any folks who can collaborate or help
> establishing a book scanner in Oakland. I am talking about a
 complete

> system, finished, effective and quick. I myself need to be able to
 scan

> quantities of books several times a month easily. I cannot afford
 the total

> cost maybe $1500 of the base kit, cameras(aprox $100 per) and
 computer

> hardware of full fledged system recommended by
> http://www.diybookscanner.org
> https://store.diybookscanner.org/collections/frontpage/ [4]
> products/archivist-quill-book-scanner-base-kit
>
> There are many DIY project designs out there and software great to
 tinker

> with. But, what I am interested in is quickly completing setting
 up a fast

> stable system(or getting one donated or purchased) - and working
 with the

> projects and issues that begin at that point: starting with
 scanning lots

> of books. I have a huge number of books I need to scan for
 personal and

> political projects which have broader applications.
>
> I would prefer working on a system that could serve many people
 and needs -

> and I would be interested in being part of a collective working on
 getting

> books scanned and converted to accessible formats (particularly
> http://daisy.org) - but also interested in working on making the
 system

> available to more people and the whole thing accessible for the
 disabled. I

> am also interested in discussing working on the further extensions
 of

> accommodating reading disabilities, books and computer access for
 the

> blind.
>
> I volunteer at Revolution Books to fight the power and transform
 the people

> for revolution. I have a good basis in literature of art, politics,
> history, science and international fiction needing to be read and
 made

> available. I have a reading disability.  I have taught TV
 production and

> media in public schools. I live in Oakland.
>
> Jacques

Links:
------
[1] https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Bookscanner